This recipe results in a coating that is sweet, slightly spicy, salty, and textured with grains of cornmeal.
Mini corn dogs
Recipe Type: Snack
This makes A LOT of mini corn dogs, so it’s best if you throw a party when you make these. Or split the recipe in half!
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup finely grated onion
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tbsp cornstarch, for dredging
- 8 beef hot dogs, each cut into thirds
- 12 12-inch bamboo skewers, cut in half (and cut off sharp points!)
- Oil for frying
- Heat oil in a deep fryer (or a wok or a Dutch oven) to 375 F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and cayenne pepper). In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients (onion, milk, and honey).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir with a spatula, only enough times to bring the batter together. Don’t over-mix.
- Scatter cornstarch into a deep plate or shallow pan. Roll all hot dog piece in the cornstarch and tap well to remove any excess.
- Skewer each hot dog. Dip in batter. Place the corn dog into the oil, and let it fry until the color of the batter is golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully take dogs from the oil and transfer to a cooling rack lined with paper towels.
Yeah, because of course there needs to be three dipping sauces. I dressed up plain mayo, plain mustard, and plain ketchup so that they become a garlic aoili, honey mustard, and spicy ketchup.
Leave a Reply